FREE SHIPPING AT HIPPOS TOES!!!

HIPPOS TOES is offering FREE SHIPPING on orders of $50 or more!!!!!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Have you seen my sweet son????

Okay, I give up, where did my sweet son go? How could my little guy change from a sweet little boy into a little monster overnight? One minute he's looking at me with a sweet look on his face, obviously smitten with mommy, and the next I get this furrowed brow, and a sort of glare that scares the bejesus out of me. No kidding! If I didn't know better I would think he is plotting my demise! That chick from the Exorcist has nothing on him. When did that happen, and more importantly, HOW did that happen? Where do kids learn this stuff? I know it isn't the TV because he doesn't watch it. He doesn't really hang around with any other kids yet - it's usually just him and me and his dad. His dad and I work from home so we are pretty much the only ones he sees on a daily basis. We do have someone that comes in for a few hours a few days a week but I know it isn't from her. I mean, come on! I wish I could describe the look to you. It's like his head is down a bit and he looks up at me like "who the hell do you think you're talking to". If he could talk I KNOW he would say that to me. I try to ignore it because I just don't know what else to do. I'm afraid if I draw his attention to it, he'll really start laying it on, and I am NOT ready to handle that from a 21 month old.

Oh, and another thing the little monster has been doing lately is spitting out his food. This is totally something new. He always ate everything (pretty much), he was given. Loves all types of veggies, fruit, no problem with any of that stuff. Okay, he always had some issues with eggs and rice, I think it may be a texture thing, but other than a few items he would eat anything. Now I will give him a spoonful of soup or a cracker with cheese and out comes the tongue and all the contents of his mouth. Oh, and to really piss mommy off he also started wiping at his tongue and flinging it on the floor. Yay, that's the way to get that cookie that sometimes comes at the end of a meal - NOT! What is going on here. I'm thinking the "I" word. Is he trying to assert his independence? Well he just better stop it!! There will be no independence in this household. Even his father has no independence when it comes to mommy's rules! Obviously he isn't picking up on those important house rules too quickly.

Don't tell me the terrible two's have started already!! The only thing I can do to get the food down is sing, sing and sing. I don't know how many times I can sing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". Does anyone know if there is more than one verse to that song?

What do/did you do when you encountered your child trying to be independent? I told him to STOP IT but that doesn't seem to be working ;).

8 comments:

Suzie said...

Sweetie, the little guy is going up....I know it's sad to watch it happen sometimes. But trust me some day you will be happy that the little man is independent. It's a great quality to have. Sit back and enjoy the ride!!! (it's a bumpy one....)

Suzie said...

meant to say growing up in the last comment....my bad

christie said...

I am remembering all the things I had to say to MY son when he started that!It was embarrassing when he did it in public.What to do. I don't remember how I got him to stop though.
1. "We keep our food in our mouths" this resulted in a refusal to swallow the food. It was taken very literally.
2. "Gee, you must not be hungry. Hungry little boys EAT their food." This caused him to scream and throw his body to the floor...
And actually, after a while, I just let him spit it out hoping he would get bored with it. And I let the dog spend mealtimes in the kitchen. :0)

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

I have little more to say other than good luck!! We are still looking for the sweet little innocent baby that we once knew...slowly we are accepting that the big guy is just growing up.

I wish I could give you some help...

Kameron said...

This is exactly what I am going through with my 17 month old! He was so sweet and then last week he started furrowing his brow and doing things just to spite me. Eating diner has become such an annoyance. Singing doesn't work. I have to bribe him with water of all things. If I have an epiphany any time soon, you will be the first one I share it with!

Cecily R said...

Some people call it a phase but I like milestone. He's getting bigger. I know it sounds cliche, but it's a good thing that he's learning a little independence. :)

Staci A said...

I know "the look" all too well. I've been encouraging independence, but also trying my best to keep my little one little. It's just too hard to see them growing up so fast. Sorry I don't have any better advice than that. Good luck!

A.V.A said...

You must be talking about my son, LOL! He has been giving me attitude all week. Not loving it. Yesterday he told me he didn't like me. Oh I remember those days as a child, LOL. Although I could never tell my parents that.